Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Anchor

I am sick.

I've been so good at fighting all of the illness that's run rampant on campus since August, getting away with only one day of a stomach ache a few weeks ago. Of course, when I'm coming up on the busiest few weeks of the semester, I catch something. I woke up this morning and felt absolutely miserable. I had a sore throat and slight cough, but the biggest part was that I ached everywhere. Sitting through/staying awake in my morning class was a chore and I've wanted nothing more than a nap all day long. Earlier I felt so bad that I contemplated not eating lunch. However, after a nice long pep talk with myself, I managed to grab a little bite from the cafeteria before my afternoon classes. I felt better for a while, but I really can't wait for my night class to be over so that I can come back, watch Glee, and then just sleep.

After I posted yesterday, I ran into a few minor snags in the cafeteria: the stir-fry was chicken instead of beef, and the potato soup was gone. Instead, I got the stir-fry and brown rice, opted out of the slice of wheat bread, and got an "oriental hot and sour" soup. If dieting in college has taught me one thing, it's that I need to be able to adapt to sudden changes and overcome them. After dinner I went to The Munch (a campus convenience store) with my roommate, and there I got a cup of grapes and fresh strawberries, and a 3 Musketeer bar. The Musketeer bar was an almost instant regret, but I really wanted it and with 49 extra points every week, I could have it without guilt. I don't like to utilize the 49 points too often, because I can't trust myself with them yet; I really tend to go overboard on things easily.

Despite the dinner switch and the candy bar, yesterday actually ended up pretty great. Everyone parked on North Campus had to move their cars yesterday for plowing, so last night when we went to return them to the lot, I just threw on a CMU fleece that I bought back in October. When I bought the fleece, it was just a bit more snug than I would have liked, but I was thinking about starting WW so I just let it go. Well, last night when I put it on, it was quite loose-fitting!!! This was the first time that I'd actually noticed a difference in the way my clothes were fitting, and I was beyond ecstatic. I mean, every once in a while my jeans will be looser than normal, but they're made to stretch with wear and so I don't really count them as reliable. But this jacket, which I haven't worn since before Christmas, was just the pick-me-up that I needed.

Along with the jacket, I came across another anchor today. In my Honors lit class, we have snacks. They typically are oreos or something equally as inticing. Today was mini chocolate and cinnamon sugar donuts. Those two flavors are my favorite, but I took one look at them and told myself "No, you just had lunch, and those won't feel good on the scale this week." It worked, too: I saw them sitting on the desk all class, and I didn't want them after that. The necessity for an anchor is becoming more apparent, especially after last week's WW meeting. Even though I feel pretty bad today, little things like that have made me want to smile all day long.

I have to finish a paper before class, but here's what today's food looks like:

Breakfast:
1/2 whole grain english muffin, toasted
1tbsp Nutella
1 banana
1cup skim milk

Lunch:
1/2 white pita
2 slices deli turkey
lettuce
1 slice American cheese
light mayo
2 pickle spears
10 green grapes
a sugar cookie (our caf's cookies are delish, and only 3 PointsPlus; I can never pass them up)

Snacks:
WW Coffee cake
Ritz 100 calorie snack mix

Dinner:
Chicken Marsala w/ wide noodles
Steamed broccoli spears
cherry jello cubes
1cup skim milk

Evening Snacks:
1bag single-serve popcorn
string cheese

I'm doing really good with staying at my 36 PointsPlus, and honestly, with the way I'm feeling today, this might be a ton of food. We'll see.
-Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment